Integrative Medicine Q & A
What is integrative medicine?
Integrative medicine is a patient-focused approach to health care that focuses on healing the body through optimizing overall health.
It’s based on the idea that health is more than the absence of disease. The principles of integrative medicine include:
- Practitioner and patients are partners in health
- All health factors are considered including body, mind, spirit, and community
- Use conventional and alternative therapies appropriately
- Use noninvasive, natural interventions when possible
- Consider traditional and alternative therapies critically
- Good medicine is based on good science
- Broader concepts of health and prevention are as critical as treatment
Dr. Raman provides truly comprehensive, patient-focused consultations, giving you the time and attention needed to understand your health, lifestyle, and other factors that contribute to your overall wellness.
What are the benefits of integrative medicine?
Integrative medicine offers a comprehensive approach to health care. Dr. Raman focuses on your overall wellness instead of fixating on a set of symptoms or a single disease.
Your body is a complex machine, and all systems work together. Dr. Raman works to identify the root causes of your symptoms and aims to improve your overall health while also healing specific conditions.
Ultimately, this approach means that you get more personalized attention. Additionally, as your health improves, your risk of disease decreases, your energy improves, and you enjoy an overall enhanced sense of well-being.
Another benefit of integrative medicine is that Dr. Raman doesn’t discount conventional or alternative treatments and combines carefully selected therapies to support your overall wellness.
What should I expect during an integrative medicine consultation?
Dr. Raman sends you paperwork that you should fill out and return a week before your first assessment. During your initial integrative medicine consultation, you spend between 60-90 minutes with Dr. Raman.
She collects a detailed personal and family medical history and inquires about your lifestyle, including diet, exercise, relationships, mental and emotional health, and more.
Together, you identify aspects of your health that could be better and create a wellness plan to address those issues. For example, some of the conditions that often improve with integrative medicine include:
- Prediabetes and diabetes
- Stress, anxiety issues
- Autoimmune diseases- Hashimoto’s, Inflammatory bowel diseases
- Chronic fatigue
- Metabolic syndrome
- High blood pressure
- Hormonal imbalances
If you’re interested in integrative medicine, call Excel Health MD or make an appointment online today.
Integrative Medicine (IM) is defined as healing-oriented medicine that takes account of the whole person, including all aspects of lifestyle. It emphasizes the therapeutic relationship between practitioner and patient, is informed by evidence, and makes use of all appropriate therapies (AzCIM).
Main principles of integrative medicine are as follows:
Patient and practitioner are partners in the healing process.
- All factors that influence health, wellness, and disease are taken into consideration, including mind, spirit, and community, as well as the body.
- Appropriate use of both conventional and alternative methods facilitates the body’s innate healing response.
- Effective interventions that are natural and less invasive should be used whenever possible.
- Integrative medicine neither rejects conventional medicine nor accepts alternative therapies uncritically.
- Good medicine is based in good science. It is inquiry-driven and open to new paradigms.
- Alongside the concept of treatment, the broader concepts of health promotion and the prevention of illness are paramount.
- Practitioners of integrative medicine should exemplify its principles and commit themselves to self-exploration and self-development.
Dr. Raman is available for Integrative medicine consults. Each consult will last 60-90 mins long and requires in depth history taking and is not covered by insurance. It is important to fill your paper work at least 1 week ahead of time before this appointment.
Some of the common conditions that would benefit from Integrative medicine consult are as below:
Life Style Changes, Pre-diabetes, Diabetes, Stress Management, Autoimmune Conditions, Insomnia, Chronic Fatigue, Weight Management, Metabolic Syndrome, Early Stages of High Blood Pressure, Fibromyalgia, Menopause and Hormonal Imbalances.
Take The First Step On Your
Perhaps you have questions you’d like to ask before you make a decision to become a patient. Our patient coordinator is standing by, happy to answer any questions you have to determine if Excel Health MD is right for you.